Big changes to MEDICAL INDEMNITY for family doctors in Ireland
Please find a recent and important update regarding medical indemnity providers for family doctors practicing in Ireland.
This is of particular importance to doctors obtaining medical indemnity for the first time, or renewing a lapsed policy.
There are two main medical indemnifiers
- Medisec - https://medisec.ie/ - claims based
- Medical Protection Society (MPS) - https://www.medicalprotection.org/ireland/home - occurrence based
Medisec Membership application is open to:
- Medical Practitioners registered on the General Practice Division of the Specialist Register of the Medical Council, whose application for membership is approved by the Directors;or
- Medical Practitioners registered on the General Register of the Medical Council, have at least two years appropriate experience in Ireland as a General Practitioner within the previous five years, and whose application for membership is approved by the Directors;and
- In all cases the proposal for insurance cover must meet underwriting acceptance laid down by the insurers pursuant to the current Master Policy of insurance in place.
Medical Protection Society
As MPS does not have Irish experience as a criteria, they have been the primary provider, unless a doctor’s current insurer covers them for work they will undertake as a GP, in Ireland.
MPS Underwriting have advised that they will no longer accept CV’s as proof of equivalence of training for GP membership.
All doctors seeking GP membership with MPS must, in the future, be on the specialist division of the IMC or provide proof to us that they are in the process of doing so and are simply awaiting confirmation.
The only exception to this rule will be made for existing South African GP/Family Doctor, MPS SA members, with good case histories.
There are two alternatives to obtain cover for work in Ireland, through Challenge and BIS Nationwide (UK broker). However, we recommend discussing these with a member of the team in depth, before pursuing; they are claims made, yearlong and expensive.
Locumotion is researching alternative medical indemnity solutions, but this is in its infancy and not an immediate solution.
Should you have any questions specific to your circumstances, please contact the Locumotion team so we can discuss further.