- All Categories
- News (8)
- Locum Positions (2)
- What Ireland Has To Offer (1)
- Taxation in Ireland (2)
- Testimonial (1)
- IMC Registration (2)
Posted by Reuben May
on Monday, 9 June 2014
Posted by Reuben May
on Tuesday, 3 June 2014
IMC General Registration update for Non-EU Doctors
Great News - IMC General Registration update for Non-EU Doctors
Locumotion is delighted to keep you updated on all the news from the Irish Medical Council. The Medical Council have just announced some great news for Non-EU applicants and we have included the details below. If you do not find details of your country below, please note be will keep you informed once we have any new information!
In order to work in Ireland, it is a requirement for all Doctors to be registered with the Irish Medical Council. All Non Consultant Hospital Doctors working through Locumotion are required to hold valid General Registration with the IMC.
Applicants for General Registration, who do not benefit from the recognition of their qualifications under EU legislation, may be exempt from the PRES if they can prove that they have been awarded the equivalent to an Irish Certificate of Experience.
The Council established an Adjudication Group to develop a system of recognition of equivalence to a Certificate of Experience and the Group has reviewed responses from competent authorities to enquiries made about the equivalence of internships in their jurisdiction against the standards set by Council in its document "Standards for Training and Experience Required for the Granting of a Certificate of Experience to an Intern". http://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Professional-Development/Standards-Guidelines-/Standards-Guidelines-.pdf
The Medical Council has accepted the following recommendations:
1. Australia – Standards for intern training and experience comply with the Council’s criteria and internship training is recognised as equivalent to a Certificate of Experience awarded in Ireland.
2. New Zealand - Standards for intern training and experience comply with the Council’s criteria and internship training is recognised as equivalent to a Certificate of Experience awarded in Ireland.
3. Pakistan - Internship training will recognised as equivalent to a Certificate of Experience awarded in Ireland if the applicant has completed their internship after 31st December 2008 and the rotations comply with the Medical Council’s policy on length of internship and approved rotations.
4. India - Internships do not meet with the Medical Council’s standards for training and experience required for the granting of a Certificate of Experience.
5. Trinidad & Tobago - Internships do not meet with the Medical Council’s standards for training and experience required for the granting of a Certificate of Experience.
Please note the following:
Applicants for general registration, who completed their internships in one of the above countries, are not required to provide the Intern Verification or the Training Site Verification forms.
Applicants for general registration who completed their internship in Pakistan are required to provide the Certificate of Experience issued by the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council.
Applicants for trainee specialist registration must have been awarded the equivalent to an Irish Certificate of Experience AND pass or be exempt from the PRES.
Further information regarding registration with the Irish Medical Council can be found on http://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Registration/
Add your comment below!
Please note that comments are reviewed by the administrator prior being visible.